Saturday, September 20, 2008

I made it through!

Back-to-school night is finally finished! I managed to survive meeting about half of the parent's in my class, and many others from the school! My room looked great! I was totally prepared, and two of the parents said that they are very glad I am teaching their kid. Yippee! Maybe this year will turn out to be pretty good after all.

I keep having this waking nightmare that I get to the end of the school year and realize that I haven't actually taught my kids anything. That in fact, I ruined them and their futures! It is a very intense and horrible feeling to get. I'm not usually much of a worrier, but the responsibility of teaching these kids is getting to me. I have to keep reminding myself that I can do this, and that I can even do it well. I just hope that in 10 years these kids look back at their time in the third grade and say, "That was a great year, and Miss Merket helped shape the great person I am today." I really hope that they are not saying, "If only I hadn't lost all my confidence and learning ability in the third grade, maybe I could be changing the world instead of sitting in jail. Curse Miss Merket!" Gahhhhh!

In other news, I am very excited to be attending my first real luau tonight. There is going to be a roasted pig, and even live Hawaiian dancers. It should be a blast!

4 comments:

Christina Allen said...

I would SO have loved to go to that school when I was in 3rd grade! How neat that you get to give 10 kids your attention, instead of 30!

Chris and Marissa said...

Liz! You got a blog. That makes me happy because Facebook doesn't provide enough room to keep friends caught up on your life. I'll be anticipating future reading material :)

Heather said...

Dude, you'll be a great teacher! I wish I could have you as a 3rd grade teacher, that'd be AWESOME!!!

Mindy said...

Hey Liz!!! I think you're going to be an awesome teacher!!! I still think back with fondness on my 3rd grade teachers (I had two . . . one was put on bed rest halfway through the year).