Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Merry Christmas

I love this time of year! The music, the stories, the food, the parties, the three weeks off of work! I love it! I hope you love it to, and if you don't then you should go jump in a lake and/or find a job that lets you off for the holidays.
Today, some of the older kids at my school preformed their own adaptation of Dickens A Christmas Carol. They stayed after school last night to set up this pretty detailed set (for a 20 minute show for 3rd graders) and then first thing this morning they did their stuff. It was really fun to see all of them (even the exchange students) preform their parts with such feeling. I especially liked that in the end Scrooge gave Tiny Tim a puppy, after which they both wished us all a Merry Christmas, and passed out fancy chocolates. I hate to admit that I haven't read the Dickens version but it seemed pretty off. I liked it all the same, and my kids loved it!
This is a blurry shot of Scrooge handing "Tiny" Tim his new puppy
(who was surprisingly ferocious).

A close friend of mine recently admitted that she hates A Christmas Carol, in all its many forms. I was so shocked by this. I have always loved it. My dad played the Ghost of Christmas Present several times when I was a kid and I loved to go see him. The story and its characters seemed real to me each time I saw it. I also played Scrooge's sister, Fanny, (coming to bring him home from school) when I was in junior high and fell even more in love with it (I'm willing to admit that this may have been more due to the cuteness of young Scrooge then anything else). Any way, to the point: As I said earlier I haven't actually read it, and so, along with a little book club I'm in, I am going to read it this year. I expect to love it even more, but if I don't, I probably won't admit it. And now you know.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

Hey!! I'm almost, kind of mentioned in your blog!!! I feel like a celebrity! For those that didn't pick up on it, I hate A Christmas Carol. In all it's many forms. And I have read the book, so I feel confident in saying so.

Benjamin L. Hull said...

Well, that's too bad. I am confident in saying that I mostly like A Christmas Carol in most of its forms. I have read the book, and I think I liked that better than some of the film adaptations that I have seen. There have been some renditions that I haven't been a fan of, but for the most part, I really like A Christmas Carol. Poor Scrooge McMindy!

Christina Allen said...

"A Christmas Carol" is one of my favorite books/movies/plays. (Sorry Mindy.) I recently read the book, and decided that the Muppet version is actually one of the truest movie adaptations, because they actually have a narrator that gets to say all those wonderful Dickens lines like "as solitary as an oyster".

M. Gordon said...

But how did you feel about the book, my friend? Now that the month has passed it's time for some frantic Dickensian discussion on the club website ...