Friday, June 12, 2009

Wishing for a Divorce

Today I had lunch duty, which means I had to watch a playground full of little, and not so little, kids in case of any bloodletting or attempts at a coup. Today was a stellar day, no major threats where detected, and I made at least one kid cry uncontrollably.
The best part of the duty, though, was when I was herding the students into their classes. One little girl was trudging to her line, when I asked if she had had fun playing with her friends. She mumbled and said it was ok, but what came next was truly special. She said, "But [they] are going to a summer camp just for divorced kids, and I can't go. I wish my parents could be divorced." I managed not to laugh and I asked if it would be sad if her parents didn't love each other and had to live in seperate houses. She shrugged and said, "Yeah, I guess, but then I could go to the camp!" I guess its hard to be a kid, either your being left out or coming from a broken home, and neither one feels good, though I would have thought a broken home would hurt more.

No comments: