Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Baby Rats For My Class

Cute Baby Rats
Today one of the parents brought my class a special surprise: two adorable baby rats and all the stuff to take care of them.

The Student Who Brought us The Rats

Last year I reluctantly took a rat from my sister, because she found out she was allergic after purchasing one. It was a big, mean, anti-social male. My kids really liked him, but I was always nervous that he would bite one of them (which he did at least twice). Thankfully this summer he got sick and died.
I wanted a new rat, because I had a cage, but I wasn't sure where to get one. I was thrilled when one of the dads told me his rats had just had a litter. These new rats are so cute and tiny. It is impossible to tell their gender yet and so we may have to send one back if they are not the same.
We are waiting to name them until we know their gender, but for now the kids are calling them Crossy (because it has a cross on its back) and Straighty (because it has a straight line on its back).

Crossy in my Hand (So Tiny)

4 comments:

Chris and Marissa said...

Rats are gross :)

Liz Merket said...

Not my rats. My rats are fancy rats and they are cute!

Roxy said...

Rats are gross... but these are kind of cute...

Liz Merket said...

When you all come down for new years (crossing my fingers that it gets to be all 4 of you) you'll get to meet my cute rats in person and you will fall in love.